Blue Whale Free Crochet Pattern
Updated: Oct 19, 2019
The oceans are mysterious, wild and free...and so are the creatures the live into the deep blue.
I've always been fascinated by Whales...they are social and intelligent creatures, graceful swimmers that nurture, play and sing.
A couple of years ago I went whale watching on a little boat on the St Lawrence River in Canada and I got the chance to see and be close to one of this gentle giants...I will never forget that day!
Today I want to share with you the crochet instructions of a cute little BLUE WHALE I designed some time ago.
The whale is part of my Nautical Amigurumi Collection that features, together with the whale, a seagull, a lighthouse, a sea star, a life belt and a series of colorful lobster buoys.
You can purchase the pattern of the entire collection by clicking on the image!
Here's the FREE pattern of the whale! ... HAVE FUN!
SKILL LEVEL: Beginner
YARN: Medium Weight Yarn (Lace 4) in Turquoise and White
OTHER MATERIALS: Polyester Fiber Filling, Two 9mm Black Safety Eyes
HOOK SIZES: 3.5 mm
STITCHES USED and ABBREVIATIONS: magic ring (mr), chain (ch), slip stitch (sl st), single crochet (sc), decrease (dec), increase (inc), back loop only (BLO), fasten off (F/O).
INSTRUCTIONS: Work in rows otherwise instructed; join with a sl st, and ch1 at the end of each row.
Disclosure. Most blog posts on this website contain affiliate links. This means I get a small commission if you click-through & purchase (no additional cost to you).
BODY (turquoise and white yarn)
1) starting off with turquoise yarn, 8 sc in a mr (8)
2) inc around (16)
3) *1 sc, inc*, repeat ** around (24)
4) *2 sc, inc*, repeat ** around (32)
5) *3 sc, inc*, repeat ** around (40)
6) *4 sc, inc*, repeat ** around (48)
7) *5 sc, inc*, repeat ** around (56)
8-17) sc even (56); insert the plastic eyes between rounds 15/16, 15 stitches apart
18) *7 sc, dec*, repeat ** around, 2 sc (50)
19) switching to white yarn, sc even (50)
20) working in BLO, *3 sc, dec*, repeat ** around (40)
21) *2 sc, dec*, repeat ** around (30)
22) *1 sc, dec*, repeat ** around (20); stuff the doll
23) dec around (10)
24) dec around (5); F/O, close the hole and hide the yarn.
Embroider the 2 LINES under the eyes with some white yarn.
FINS (turquoise yarn; make two)
1) 5 sc in a mr (5)
2) inc around (10)
3) *4 sc, inc*, repeat ** around (12)
4-6) sc even (12)
7) *4 sc, dec*, repeat ** around (10); F/O and leave a tail of yarn to sew the fin to side of the body.
TAIL (turquoise yarn)
1) 6 sc in a mr (6)
2) *2 sc, inc*, repeat ** around (8)
3) *3 sc, inc*, repeat ** around (10)
4) *4 sc, inc*, repeat ** around (12)
5) *5 sc, inc*, repeat ** around (14)
6) sc even (14)
7) *5 sc, dec*, repeat ** around (12)
8) *4 sc, dec*, repeat ** around (10); F/O and cut the yarn
Do no cut the yarn once you have completed the 2nd fin, CH 1 INSTEAD.
Merge the two pieces together:
9) join the yarn with a sl st to the 2nd fin, ch1 and sc in the same st, 3 sc, 1 dec, 4 sc keep crocheting on the other fin, 4 sc, 1 dec, 4 sc (18)
10) *1 sc, dec*, repeat ** around (12)
11) sc even (12)
12) *1 sc, inc*, repeat ** around (18)
13) *2 sc, inc*, repeat ** around (24); stuff lightly only this part of the tail, do not stuff the two fins
14) sc even (24); F/O and leave a long tail of yarn to sew the tail to the back of the body (between rounds 18 and 20).
WATER SPRAY (white yarn)
1) 8 sc in a mr (8)
2) 8 sc in the bl (8)
3) *2 sc, dec*, repeat ** around (6)
4) sc even (6)
5) 4 sc in each st around (24)
6) 2 sc in each st around (48); F/O and hide the yarn
Sew the water spray on top of the whale using some white yarn.
This pattern is an original pattern by Elisa Sartori of Elisa's Crochet. Please do not claim this pattern as your own. If you wish to share this pattern, you may link to this pattern but please do not reprint it on your site. You may keep a copy for your own personal use but please DO NOT sell the pattern or distribute it.
You may sell products made from this pattern but please clearly credit the design to me, Elisa Sartori of Elisa's Crochet. Permission is NOT granted for mass production or factory manufacturing of any kind. Thank you!