Ralph The Fish Free Crochet Pattern
Happy Tuesday and most of all happy "Free Crochet Pattern Day" my friends!
For today's freebie I worked on a project that goes really well with the Jellyfish amigurumi I introduced you to last week.
This cute and colorful fish is called Ralph and he cannot wait to join Bonnie on a sweet baby crib mobile.
This project is very easy and it works really fast!
The finished amigurumi is approximately 8.5" long.
***You can purchase an AD-FREE PDF of this pattern on Etsy HERE.
Here's the FREE pattern! Have fun!
SKILL LEVEL: Beginner
YARN: Medium Weight Cotton Yarn (Lace 4) in Gray, Lilac, White, Yellow and Black
OTHER MATERIALS: Polyester Fiber Filling; 6 mm Plastic Safety Eyes (2); White Felt
HOOK SIZES: 3.25 mm
STITCHES USED and ABBREVIATIONS: magic ring (mr), chain (ch), slip stitch (sl st), single crochet (sc), decrease (dec), increase (inc), fasten off (F/O).
INSTRUCTIONS: work in rounds (join with a sl st and ch1 at the end of each row) unless otherwise instructed.
Disclosure. Most blog posts on this website contain affiliate links. This means I get a small commission if you click-through & purchase (no additional cost to you).
BODY (gray, lilac and white)
1) starting off with gray yarn, 6 sc in a mr (6)
2) sc inc around (12)
3) *1 sc, 1 sc inc*, repeat ** around (18)
4) *2 sc, 1 sc inc*, repeat ** around (24)
5) *3 sc, 1 sc inc*, repeat ** around (30)
6-14) sc even (30)
Cut two 5/8” rounded pieces of white felt, create a hole in them white the scissors, insert the plastic safety eyes in the hole and the place them between rounds #9-10. Secure the eyes with the back parts.
15) switch to lilac yarn, sc even (30)
16-33) sc even (30); start filling the body
34) *3 sc, 1 sc dec*, repeat ** around (24)
35) switch to white yarn, sc even (24)
36) switch back to lilac yarn, *4 sc, 1 sc dec*, repeat ** around (20)
37-38) sc even (20)
39) switch to white yarn, sc even (20)
40) *3 sc, 1 sc dec*, repeat ** around (16)
41) switch back to lilac yarn, sc even (16)
42) sc even (16)
43) switch to white yarn, sc even (16)
44) *2 sc, 1 sc dec*, repeat ** around (12)
45) *1 sc, 1 sc dec*, repeat ** around (8); F/O and cut the yarn.
Finish stuffing the body
Embroider the MOUTH with a scrap piece of black yarn.
CAUDAL FINS (yellow and white yarn)
1) start working with yellow yarn, 6 sc in a mr (6)
2) *2 sc, 1 sc inc*, repeat ** twice (8)
3-6) sc even (8); F/O and hide the yarn. Do not stuff the fins.
Do not cut the yarn once you have completed the 2nd fin…
Merge the two fins together:
7) join the yarn with a sl st to the 1st fin, ch 1 and sc in the same st, 5 sc, keep crocheting on the 2nd fin, 6 sc (12)
8) *1 sc, 1 sc dec*, repeat ** around (8)
9) switch to white yarn, sc even (8); F/O and leave a long tail of yarn to sew the fins to the body.
DORSAL FIN (yellow yarn)
1) 6 sc in a mr (6)
2) sc inc (12)
3) *2 sc, 1 sc inc*, repeat ** around (16)
4-5) sc even (16)
F/O and leave a long tail of yarn for sewing the fin between rounds #18-16 of the body.
Do not stuff the fin.
PECTORAL FIN (yellow yarn)
1) 6 sc in a mr (6)
2) sc inc (12)
3-4) sc even (12); F/O and leave a long tail of yarn for sewing the fin between rounds #19-26 of the body. Do not stuff the fin.
I can't wait to see your version of my RALPH the FISH! Feel free to tag me (@elisascrochet) in your photos on Instagram or Facebook if you'd like!
This pattern is an original pattern by Elisa Sartori of Elisa's Crochet. Please do not claim this pattern as your own. If you wish to share this pattern, you may link to this pattern but please do not reprint it on your site. You may keep a copy for your own personal use but please DO NOT sell the pattern or distribute it.
You may sell products made from this pattern but please clearly credit the design to me, Elisa Sartori of Elisa's Crochet. Permission is NOT granted for mass production or factory manufacturing of any kind. Thank you!