Updated: Oct 19, 2019
Alligators can be friendly and sweet..when made of yarn!!
My husband and I had a very close encounter with an alligator during one of our stays in Florida few years ago...and I still get goose bumps thinking about it!
I remember that we pulled over to the side of the street to get something from the trunk and while outside we noticed two dark eyes staring at us...a big alligator only few feet away!
We jumped back in the car and before we left we took a picture of this guy!!!
Have you ever been face to face with an alligator? ...well, today, believe it or not, you'll be learning how to crochet one!
Head and body of the alligator are worked in one piece, and a nice serie of bobble stitches creates the dorsal scales.
It is a very easy and quick project...just make sure you check the instructions below to learn how to crochet the Bobble Stitch!
Here's the FREE pattern! Enjoy!
SKILL LEVEL: Beginner/Intermediate
YARN: Medium Weight Cotton Yarn (Lace 4) in Green, Black and Pink
OTHER MATERIALS: Polyester Fiber Filling
HOOK SIZES: E/3,50 mm
STITCHES USED and ABBREVIATIONS: magic ring (mr), chain (ch), slip stitch (sl st), single crochet (sc), double crochet (dc), bobble stitch (bo), decrease (dec), increase (inc), fasten off (F/O).
- Work in rows (join with a sl st and ch1 at the end of each row) otherwise instructed.
- The Bobble Stitch is a group of 7 dc. Work each stitch to the last loop, but leave the last loop on the hook while you are working the rest of the stitches in the bobble. Then yarn over and draw a loop through all the loops on the hook to complete the stitch.
Disclosure. Most blog posts on this website contain affiliate links. This means I get a small commission if you click-through & purchase (no additional cost to you).
WORK EACH BOBBLE STITCH IN LINE WITH THE PREVIOUS ONE, ADJUSTING THE NUMBER OF SC BEFORE AND AFTER THE BOBBLE, IN ORDER TO CREATE STRAIGHT DORSAL SCALES.
HEAD and BODY (green yarn)
1) 6 sc in a mr (6)
2) sc inc around (12)
3) *1 sc, 1 sc inc*, repeat ** around (18)
4) *2 sc, 1 sc inc *, repeat ** around (24)
5) *3 sc, 1 sc inc *, repeat ** around (30)
6-13) sc even (30)
14) 14 sc, 1 bo, 15 sc (30)
15-16) sc even (30)
17-28) repeat rounds #14-15-16 (30)
29) repeat round #14 (30); start stuffing the body
30) *3 sc, 1 sc dec*, repeat ** around (24)
31) *2 sc, 1 sc dec*, repeat ** around (18)
32) 10 sc, 1 bo, 7 sc (18)
33-34) sc even (18)
35) 10 sc, 1 bo, 7 sc (18)
36) *1 sc, 1 sc dec*, repeat ** around (12)
37) sc even (12)
38) 7 sc, 1 bo, 4 sc (12)
39-40) sc even (12); finish stuffing
41) *1 sc, 1 sc dec*, repeat ** around (8)
42) sc even (8); F/O and close the hole
Embroider the EYES and the MOUTH with black yarn.
CHEEKS (pink yarn; make two)
1) 6 sc in a mr (6); F/O and leave a long tail of yarn
to attach the cheek to the edge of the mouth.
FEET (green yarn; make four)
1) 8 sc in a mr (8)
2-3) sc even (8); F/O and leave a long tail of yarn to attach the feet to the side of the body. Stuff the foot lightly.
This pattern is an original pattern by Elisa Sartori of Elisa's Crochet. Please do not claim this pattern as your own. If you wish to share this pattern, you may link to this pattern but please do not reprint it on your site. You may keep a copy for your own personal use but please DO NOT sell the pattern or distribute it.
You may sell products made from this pattern but please clearly credit the design to me, Elisa Sartori of Elisa's Crochet. Permission is NOT granted for mass production or factory manufacturing of any kind. Thank you!