Bunny Safety Blanket Free Crochet Pattern
Updated: Oct 19, 2019
Do you remember the super soft Amigurumi Owl I posted about few months ago?
Well, I happened to have some yarn leftovers from that project and since this yarn is soft and perfect to create safe and cuddly items, I came up with the idea of crocheting a baby safety blanket!
Everyone knows how much babies love to have something familiar and comforting in the crib, to help them fall asleep and feel safe.
Beyond the nice and soft touch, the safe baby blankie I've designed works perfectly as a crib toy thanks to bunny head applique!
So, are you ready to work with thew softest yarn and create a unique and sweet friend for your little one?
Here's the free crochet pattern!
***You can purchase an AD-FREE PDF of this pattern on Etsy HERE.
SKILL LEVEL: Beginner
- Bernat Baby Blanket Tiny (Lace 4) in White, Clear Sky, Tea Rose
- Caron Simply Soft Medium Weight Yarn (Lace 4) in Black
- Polyester Fiber Filling
HOOK SIZES: H/5 mm
STITCHES USED and ABBREVIATIONS: magic ring (mr), chain (ch), slip stitch (sl st), single crochet (sc), double crochet (dc), decrease (dec), increase (inc), fasten off (F/O).
Disclosure. Most blog posts on this website contain affiliate links. This means I get a small commission if you click-through & purchase (no additional cost to you).
HEAD (clear sky yarn)
1) 8 sc in a mr (6)
2) inc around (12)
3) *1 sc, inc*, repeat ** around (18)
4) *2 sc, inc*, repeat ** around (24)
5) *3 sc, inc*, repeat ** around (30)
6) *4 sc, inc*, repeat ** around (36)
7) *5 sc, inc*, repeat ** around (42)
8-12) sc even (42)
13) *5 sc, dec*, repeat ** around (36)
14) *4 sc, dec*, repeat ** around (30); start stuffing the head
15) *3 sc, dec*, repeat ** around (24)
16) *2 sc, dec*, repeat ** around (18)
17) *1 sc, dec*, repeat ** around (12); finish stuffing
18) dec around (6); F/O, close the hole and leave a long tail of yarn to sew the head to the blanket and cut the yarn.
Embroider EYES, EYEBROWS,
EYELASHES and NOSE with some black yarn.
CHEEKS (tea rose yarn, make two)
1) 6 sc in a mr (6); F/O and leave a long tail for sewing.
EARS (clear sky yarn; make two)
1) 6 sc in a mr (6)
2) *1 sc, inc*, repeat ** around (9)
3) sc even (9)
4) *2 sc, inc*, repeat ** around (12)
5) *5 sc, inc*, repeat ** twice (14)
6-8) sc even (14)
9) *5 sc, dec*, repeat ** twice (12)
10) sc even (12)
11) *4 sc, dec*, repeat ** twice (10)
12) *3 sc, dec*, repeat ** twice (8)
13) sc even (8); F/O and leave a long tail of yarn to sew the ear to the head.
Do not stuff the ear; flatten it instead before attaching it between rounds 3/5 of the head.
BLANKET (white, clear sky and tea rose yarn)
Follow the instructions displayed in the diagrams below to create the granny square:
1) starting off with white yarn, create a magic ring, crochet 2 ch, 3 dc, 2 ch, 3 dc, 2 ch, 3 dc, 2 ch, 3 dc, 2 ch in the mr and then join to the 2nd ch of the first dc
Keep crocheting following the color changes written below
2-3) clear sky yarn
5-6) tea rose
9) clear sky
11-12) tea rose
14) sc around with clear sky yarn;
F/O and hide the yarn tails.
Sew the bunny head to the center of the blanket, hide the yarn tail.
This pattern is an original pattern by Elisa Sartori of Elisa's Crochet. Please do not claim this pattern as your own. If you wish to share this pattern, you may link to this pattern but please do not reprint it on your site. You may keep a copy for your own personal use but please DO NOT sell the pattern or distribute it.
You may sell products made from this pattern but please clearly credit the design to me, Elisa Sartori of Elisa's Crochet. Permission is NOT granted for mass production or factory manufacturing of any kind. Thank you!