Cactus With Balloon Free Crochet Pattern
Updated: Oct 19, 2019
With love and patience, nothing is impossible!!
Spiky cacti and balloons usually are not meant for each others...but when they are made of yarn everything is possible!
My dear friends, today I'm going to share a new fun project for those who love to crochet succulents as much as I do!
This cute little cactus holding a pink balloon is part of a mini crochet Cacti Collection.
You can find the easy to follow crochet instructions on my Etsy page or by clicking on the images below.
Here's the FREE pattern! Enjoy!
SKILL LEVEL: Beginner
YARN: Medium Weight Cotton Yarn (Lace 4) in Green, Black, White and Pink
OTHER MATERIALS: Polyester Fiber Filling
HOOK SIZES: E/3,50 mm
STITCHES USED and ABBREVIATIONS: magic ring (mr), chain (ch), slip stitch (sl st), single crochet (sc), decrease (dec), increase (inc), fasten off (F/O).
INSTRUCTIONS: work in rows (join with a sl st and ch1 at the end of each row) otherwise instructed.
Disclosure. Most blog posts on this website contain affiliate links. This means I get a small commission if you click-through & purchase (no additional cost to you).
LEGS AND BODY (green yarn)
1) 7 sc in a mr (7)
2) inc around (14)
3-5) sc even (14); F/O and hide the yarn and stuff the leg
Do no cut the yarn once you have completed the 2nd leg, CH 1 INSTEAD.
Merge the two legs together:
6) join the yarn with a sl st to the 1st leg, ch1 and sc in the same st, crochet around 13 sc, 1 hdc in the stitch between the two legs, keep working on the other leg, 14 sc, 1 hdc in the stitch between the two legs (30)
7-12) sc even (30); keep stuffing the body
13) *4 sc, 1 inc*, repeat ** around (36)
14-17) sc even (36)
18) *8 sc, 1 inc*, repeat ** four times (40)
19) sc even (40)
20) *9 sc, 1 inc*, repeat ** four times (44)
21) sc even (44)
22) *10 sc, 1 inc*, repeat ** four times (48)
23-24) sc even (48)
25) *4 sc, 1 dec*, repeat ** around (40)
26) sc even (40)
27) *3 sc, 1 dec*, repeat ** around (32)
28) *2 sc, 1 dec*, repeat ** around (24)
29) *2 sc, 1 dec*, repeat ** around (18)
30) *1 sc, 1 dec*, repeat ** around (12); finish stuffing the body
31) dec around (6); F/O and close the hole.
Embroider short straight lines with some black yarn to create the SPINES.
Embroider the EYES and the MOUTH with some black yarn.
ARMS (green yarn; make two)
1) 6 sc in a mr (6)
2) *1 sc, 1 inc*, repeat ** around (9)
3) *2 sc, 1 inc*, repeat ** around (12)
4-5) sc even (12)
6) *2 sc, 1 dec*, repeat ** around (9)
7) sc even (9)
8) *1 sc, 1 dec*, repeat ** around (6)
9) flatten the arm and crochet through both layers now, 3 sc (3); ch1 and turn
10) 3 sc (3); F/O and leave a long tail of yarn to sew the arm to the side of the body.
BALLOON (pink yarn)
1) 8 sc in a mr (8)
2) inc around (16)
3) *1 sc, 1 inc*, repeat ** around (24)
4) sc even (24)
5) *3 sc, 1 inc*, repeat ** around (30)
6-9) sc even (30)
10) *3 sc, 1 dec*, repeat ** around (24)
11) sc even (24)
12) *2 sc, 1 inc*, repeat ** around (18); stuff the balloon firmly
13) *1 sc, 1 dec*, repeat ** around (12)
14) *1 sc, 1 dec*, repeat ** around (8)
15) *2 sc, 1 dec*, repeat ** around (6)
16) *2 sc, 1 inc*, repeat ** around (8); F/O and insert the yarn inside the body and then pull it out from the skirt to create the cord. Cut the desire length.
Embroider the LIGHT REFLECTION with some white yarn.
Place the BALLOON between the arms and using a long string of green yarn sew it to the arms so it stays in place.
Embroider little FLOWERS and the CHEEKS with some pink yarn.
Make few knots around the cactus’ body with pink yarn to create the BUDS.
This pattern is an original pattern by Elisa Sartori of Elisa's Crochet. Please do not claim this pattern as your own. If you wish to share this pattern, you may link to this pattern but please do not reprint it on your site. You may keep a copy for your own personal use but please DO NOT sell the pattern or distribute it.
You may sell products made from this pattern but please clearly credit the design to me, Elisa Sartori of Elisa's Crochet. Permission is NOT granted for mass production or factory manufacturing of any kind. Thank you!