Gnomes Free Crochet Pattern
Updated: Jan 6
The Gnomes are mythological creatures from Nordic folklore that have lately become some of the most popular figures associated with the Christmas season.
They are often described as little elderly men, with long beards, wearing long bright colored caps. The tradition tells that gnomes protect and bring happiness to the family that lives in the house they are visiting...
...one more reason to crochet a cute gnome for your house or to give it as a gift to friends and family!
The gnomes in the picture are 4.5" tall.
I used three different kind of yarns for this project:
- Babytoly Cotton Yarn - Face and Hat
- 24/7 Lion Brand Yarn - Body
- Bernat Softy Chuncky Yarn - Beard
Here's the FREE pattern! Enjoy!
SKILL LEVEL: Beginner
YARN: Medium Weight Cotton Yarn (Lace 4) in Brown, Orange, Beige, Turquoise and Red
Bulky or Chunky Yarn (Lace 5) in Grey and White
OTHER MATERIALS: Polyester Fiber Filling; Yarn Needle
HOOK SIZES: E/3.25 mm
STITCHES USED and ABBREVIATIONS: magic ring (mr), chain (ch), slip stitch (sl st), single crochet (sc), half double crochet (hdc), front loop (FLO), decrease (dec), increase (inc), fasten off (F/O).
INSTRUCTIONS: work in rounds (join with a sl st and ch1 at the end of each round) otherwise instructed.
Disclosure. Most blog posts on this website contain affiliate links. This means I get a small commission if you click-through & purchase (no additional cost to you).
BODY AND HEAD (brown/turquoise and beige yarn)
1) start off with brown/turquoise yarn, 8 sc in a mr (8)
2) sc inc around (16)
3) *1 sc, 1 sc inc*, repeat ** around (24)
4) *2 sc, 1 sc inc*, repeat ** around (32); do not ch1
5) 32 sl st (32); ch1 and turn (now you are facing the outside of the work)
6) sc even (32)
7-11) sc even (32)
12) *2 sc, 1 sc dec*, repeat ** around (24)
13-16) sc even (24); start stuffing the body
17) *4 sc, 1 sc dec*, repeat ** around (20)
18) *3 sc, 1 sc dec*, repeat ** around (16)
19) switch to beige yarn, sc even (16)
20) sc even (16)
21) *2 sc, 1 sc dec*, repeat ** around (12); finish stuffing
22) sc dec around (6); F/O, close the hole and cut the yarn.
BEARD (white/gray yarn)
Cut long strings of chunky yarn.
- fold your yarn in half, so that there’s a U-shaped bend on one side and two ‘tails’ on the other side
- insert your hook into a loop (between rounds 18-19 of the body), and catch the bend in your hair piece
- pull the bend through the loop
- pull the two ‘tails’ of the hair through the bend and then pull the tails
- trim the beard the length you like and brush it with a comb.
NOSE (beige yarn)
1) 8 sc in a mr (8)
2) sc even (8)
3) *2 sc, 1 sc dec *, repeat ** twice (6)
F/O and leave a long tail of yarn to attach the nose
between rounds 18-19 of the body.
HAT (red/orange yarn)
1) 4 sc in a mr (4)
2) *1 sc, 1 sc inc*, repeat ** twice (6)
3) sc even (6)
4) *2 sc, 1 sc inc*, repeat ** twice (8)
5) sc even (8)
6) *3 sc, 1 sc inc*, repeat ** twice (10)
7) *4 sc, 1 sc inc*, repeat ** twice (12)
8) *5 sc, 1 sc inc*, repeat ** twice (14)
9-10) sc even (14)
11) *6 sc, 1 sc inc*, repeat ** twice (16)
12) sc even (16)
13) *7 sc, 1 sc inc*, repeat ** twice (18)
14) sc even (18)
15) *8 sc, 1 sc inc*, repeat ** twice (20)
16) *4 sc, 1 sc inc*, repeat ** around (24)
17) *5 sc, 1 sc inc*, repeat ** around (28)
18) working in FLO, sc even (28); F/O and hide the yarn.
This pattern is an original pattern by Elisa Sartori of Elisa's Crochet. Please do not claim this pattern as your own. If you wish to share this pattern, you may link to this pattern but please do not reprint it on your site. You may keep a copy for your own personal use but please DO NOT sell the pattern or distribute it.
You may sell products made from this pattern but please clearly credit the design to me, Elisa Sartori of Elisa's Crochet. Permission is NOT granted for mass production or factory manufacturing of any kind. Thank you!