Martha the Christmas Snail Free Crochet Pattern
It's finally time to start decorating for the Holidays! ...and apparently someone here joined the joyful spirit and made her house looking a lot like Christmas!
Her name is Martha and she's a cutest and funniest snail around.
She loves bringing happy feelings and a smile to anyone she runs (well, maybe running is not the right term 😅) into on her path.
This project is super fun and quite easy!
It just requires basic sewing knowledge, since the bottom part of the body is not crocheted but sewn .
Are you planning to add Martha the Snail to your Christmas Tree?...well, then grab your hook and favorite yarn to create the perfect ornament to match your tree decorations.
***You can purchase an AD-FREE PDF of this pattern with plenty of step-by-step pictures on Etsy HERE.
Here's the FREE pattern!
YARN: Light (3) in Yellow, White, Green and Pink; Classic Cotton Thread in Black
MATERIALS: C2 - 2.75 mm Hook; Poly Filling
DIMENSION: H. 4” x W. 4.5”
ABBREVIATIONS: magic ring (mr), stitch (st), slip stitch (sl st), single crochet (sc), half double crochet (hdc), back loop only (BLO), front loop only (FLO), fasten off (F/O)
SKILL LEVEL: Intermediate
INSTRUCTIONS: work in rounds (join with a sl st and ch 1 at the end of each round) unless otherwise instructed.
Disclosure. Most blog posts on this website contain affiliate links. This means I get a small commission if you click-through & purchase (no additional cost to you).
BODY (yellow yarn)
1) 6 sc in a mr (6)
2) sc inc around (12)
3) *1 sc, 1 sc inc*, repeat ** around (18)
4-5) sc even (18)
6) *2 sc, 1 sc inc*, repeat ** around (24)
7-11) sc even
12) *5 sc, 1 sc inc*, repeat ** around (28)
13-16) sc even (28); start stuffing the body
17) 17 ch, work 1 sc inc into the 2nd ch from the hook, 1 sc inc into the next st, 14 sc, keep working on the main body, skip 1st st of rnd #16, 26 sc, skip last st of rnd #16, go back working on the foundation chain, 14 sc, 2 sc inc (62)
18) 2 sc inc, 58 sc, 2 sc inc (66)
19) 2 sc inc, 62 sc, 2 sc inc (70)
20) sc even (70)
21) 21 sc, [*5 sc, 1 sc dec*, repeat ** four times], 21 sc (66)
22-24) sc even (66)
25)1 sc dec, 29 sc, 2 sc dec, 29 sc, 1 sc dec (62)
26) working in BLO, sc even (62); F/O and leave a 10” long tail of yarn to close up the bottom part of the body.
Insert the needle with the yellow thread into the FLO of 1st st of rnd #26, pull the yarn, then insert the needle into the FLO of the st on the opposite side of the round. Work the entire length of the body until you close the bottom. Stuff as you sew it close.
BORDER OF FOOT (yellow yarn)
1) holding the snail upside down, insert the hook into the FLO of the 1st st of rnd #25 of the body, join the yellow yarn, ch1, work 2 hdc into each st around (124); F/O, cut the yarn and wave in end.
Embroider the MOUTH between rounds # 27-28.
EYES (yellow yarn; make two)
1) 8 sc in a mr (8)
2-3) sc even (8)
4) *2 sc, 1 sc dec*, repeat ** twice (6)
5-6) sc even (6)
7) *1 sc, 1 sc dec*, repeat ** twice (4); F/O and leave a long tail of yarn. Do not stuff the eye, sew it to the top of the head, between rnds # 1-2.
Embroider the PUPIL between rounds # 2-3 of the eye with black cotton thread.
Use some scrap white yarn to embroider the LIGHT REFLECTION.
Embroider the CHEEKS between rounds # 4-5 of the body with pink yarn.
CHRISTMAS BALL ORNAMENT (yellow, white and green yarn)
1) starting off with yellow yarn, 6 sc in a mr (6)
2) sc inc around (12)
3) working in BLO, sc even (12)
4) working in both loops now, sc even (12)
5) switch to white yarn, working in FLO only, sc inc around (24)
6) working in both loops now, *3 sc, 1 sc inc*, repeat ** around (30)
7) *4 sc, 1 sc inc*, repeat ** around (36)
8) *5 sc, 1 sc inc*, repeat ** around (42)
9) sc even (42)
10) *6 sc, 1 sc inc*, repeat ** around (48)
11) switch to yellow yarn, *7 sc, 1 sc inc*, repeat ** around (54)
12) switch back to white yarn, sc even (54)
13) sc even (54)
14) switch to green yarn, *8 sc, 1 sc inc*, repeat ** around (60)
15) sc even (60)
16) (work alternating colors), *2 sc in green, 2 sc in white*, repeat ** around (60)
17) repeat rnd #16 (60)
18) working with green yarn only, sc even (60)
19) sc even (60)
20) switch to white yarn, *8 sc, 1 sc dec*, repeat ** around (54)
21) sc even (54)
22) switch to yellow yarn, sc even (54)
23) switch back to white yarn, *7 sc, 1 sc dec*, repeat ** around (48)
24) *6 sc, 1 sc dec*, repeat ** around (42)
25) *5 sc, 1 sc dec*, repeat ** around (36); start stuffing the ball
26) *4 sc, 1 sc dec*, repeat ** around (30)
27) *3 sc, 1 sc dec*, repeat ** around (24)
28) *2 sc, 1 sc dec*, repeat ** around (18)
29) working in BLO, *1 sc, 1 sc dec*, repeat ** around (12); finish stuffing the ball firmly
30) working in both loops now, sc dec around (6); F/O, close the hole and leave a long tail of yarn to sew the ornament onto the body. Add some yellow yarn to the topper to create the hanger.
I can't wait to see your version of my MARTHA the CHRISTMAS SNAIL! Feel free to tag me (@elisascrochet) in your photos on Instagram or Facebook if you'd like!
This pattern is an original pattern by Elisa Sartori of Elisa's Crochet. Please do not claim this pattern as your own. If you wish to share this pattern, you may link to this pattern but please do not reprint it on your site. You may keep a copy for your own personal use but please DO NOT sell the pattern or distribute it.
You may sell products made from this pattern but please clearly credit the design to me, Elisa Sartori of Elisa's Crochet. Permission is NOT granted for mass production or factory manufacturing of any kind. Thank you!